Aller au contenu

[Arcade PC] Arctic Thunder (Midway Games)

Harry99710

Messages recommandés

I've extracted Arctic Thunder from a mame chd, it seems to be windows based and uses a 3dfx card

The game exe can be found in Midway games/arctic thunder/snow.exe, you can launch it with nglide installed but it crashes after a second

Download: https://mega.nz/#!hiwjnbTA!dZhnN03rm71RZW8ZnCir4OLuSpQf6tngFeOhImYrjoo

the snow.exe should be in: \Midway games\Arctic Thunder

post-4493-0-84950700-1498045399_thumb.jpg

post-4493-0-04278100-1498045406_thumb.png

glide3x.zip

• 3 mois après...
  • 1 mois après...

Does this mean that the game would be playable via MAME with its CHD file? Or would it fail in that way as well?

No it is not playable in MAME since the driver is marked as being MACHINE_IS_SKELETON:

https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blob/master/src/mame/drivers/midqslvr.cpp

MAME includes a ton of non working games in its database.

• 3 semaines après...
On 11/11/2017 at 10:25 AM, Newtonian said:

No it is not playable in MAME since the driver is marked as being MACHINE_IS_SKELETON:

https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blob/master/src/mame/drivers/midqslvr.cpp

MAME includes a ton of non working games in its database.

so how do you play it?

On 11/30/2017 at 2:13 PM, darksabre9 said:

so how do you play it?

Sorry but you cannot play it. MAME is not capable of emulating the hardware to run this game and there are no emulators out there that can do it either. Your best bet for the moment is to do what was mentioned in another thread: try the PS2 version.

Modifié par Newtonian

• 1 an après...
  • 1 mois après...

No dice.  At this time, until there is a working rom and/or new version of MAME that has the game promoted to working, the PS2 / Xbox versions will have to do until then.

• 3 mois après...
57 minutes ago, SortingHat said:

So why upload a broken link then? Seems rather dumb but nothing of this generation surprised me anymore.   Now how about uploading Cruis USA/World and Exotica dumps?

well i suppose it's just for anyone who can make this game working one day

• 1 mois après...

I've been digging into the Hydro Thunder game, which is pretty similar setup to artic. Some of the issues are, they locked the thunder games down to a 3dfx card. Now some have used assembly tools to unlock that a little so a voodoo card can be put into the arcade cab to play. But the lock has not been broken to get the game to run on a normal pc. 

I looked into the PC port of Hydro and they have a no cd and no 3df check broke, but for others they also have a 3dfx emulator to trick the game into thinking the 3dfx calls are done/working. 

I have had a break from this HT work, but need to dig back in. I think the security just needs to be removed and video card checks.

2 hours ago, spiderzsoft said:

Simply installed win2000.... game working on this OS

Thats incredible man, how have we not heard of this until now? I guess sometimes it's as simple as downgrading to an OS that was around the same time of games release.. could you possible share the files you took from Hydro to run with Arctic? or at least leave more detailed instructions to run on win2k?

Invité Hot buttered poodle
1 hour ago, mastershakelock said:

Thats incredible man, how have we not heard of this until now? I guess sometimes it's as simple as downgrading to an OS that was around the same time of games release.. could you possible share the files you took from Hydro to run with Arctic? or at least leave more detailed instructions to run on win2k?

Yes please share. I'd love to be able to play the actual arcade version instead of the ps2 version.

7 hours ago, northvibe said:

I've been digging into the Hydro Thunder game, which is pretty similar setup to artic. Some of the issues are, they locked the thunder games down to a 3dfx card. Now some have used assembly tools to unlock that a little so a voodoo card can be put into the arcade cab to play. But the lock has not been broken to get the game to run on a normal pc. 

I looked into the PC port of Hydro and they have a no cd and no 3df check broke, but for others they also have a 3dfx emulator to trick the game into thinking the 3dfx calls are done/working. 

I have had a break from this HT work, but need to dig back in. I think the security just needs to be removed and video card checks.

Only Hydro and Offroad Thunder has video card protection (with a CPLD on the video card) meaning even stock Voodoo 2 cards are incompatible. There does exist a patch on the exe file to bypass the video card protection but it no longer reads protected video cards. Arctic Thunder replaces the video card protection with hard drive protection (probably via goose.dll) to check the drive's serial number. There does exist an "unmarried" drive image to be used with any AT with a bad hard drive (probably the MAME dump).

And there is also the "Ultimate" Arctic Thunder that also uses additional dongle protection making this even more fun :S.

4 minutes ago, Hydreigon said:

Only Hydro and Offroad Thunder has video card protection (with a CPLD on the video card) meaning even stock Voodoo 2 cards are incompatible. There does exist a patch on the exe file to bypass the video card protection but it no longer reads protected video cards. Arctic Thunder replaces the video card protection with hard drive protection (probably via goose.dll) to check the drive's serial number. There does exist an "unmarried" drive image to be used with any AT with a bad hard drive (probably the MAME dump).

And there is also the "Ultimate" Arctic Thunder that also uses additional dongle protection making this even more fun :S.

Ah I must of confused Rush the rock I was working on with Artic thunder. It has been some time. My bad. I was working with the pc version of rush, I think, and from what I recall it was Bundled with the voodoo. I can check back in my drive to see. 

Some guys on KLOV were working on the patch to get the official HT to use a voodoo consumer card.

Invité Hot buttered poodle
2 hours ago, Hydreigon said:

So....what does all this mean?? Can it ever be fixed to work??

I tried to run it on a Windows 2000 VM via VMware, I got a missing goose.ini file error. Which I'm guessing is a security file? I think there's some sort of ancient type of dongle for this game too.

I'll hold on for more development on getting this game to run in the future. . 

~Inari

• 1 mois après...

@spiderzsoft yeah but reinsrus also mentioned that wasteland racers 2071 is coming to teknoparrot... thats a triotech game from 2006. not really many triotech arcade systems really are games, most are just simulators. The ones that are actually games are:

1. Wasteland Racers 2071

2. UFO Stomper(some motion sense game where you step on aliens, could be done with the mouse)

3. Cyberpod 3000(extremely rare, only 100 produced with almost no technical support, not much surviving)

@spiderzsoft I mean there are touchscreen monitors you can buy... I saw UFO Stomper booting up at an arcade and it appears to run Windows 2000. Also, how would the simulator chair games(Typhoon, Mad Wave Motion Theater, Jett Rider) work? Would they require those vr motion chairs?

Modifié par witherzombie222

@witherzombie222 I commented Dirt Dash MAME 0.222 on YouTube and commented "Johnny Nero Action Hero rom with CHD runs perfectly on MAME 0.222.", and i read "Johnny Nero Action Hero and Special Forces Elite Training runs on VP101 hardware PCB with a hard drive." on Johnny Nero Action Hero page and Special Forces Elite Training page at the Arcade Database/Gaming-History website.

1 hour ago, reinsrus said:

@witherzombie222 I commented Dirt Dash MAME 0.222 on YouTube and commented "Johnny Nero Action Hero rom with CHD runs perfectly on MAME 0.222.", and i read "Johnny Nero Action Hero and Special Forces Elite Training runs on VP101 hardware PCB with a hard drive." on Johnny Nero Action Hero page and Special Forces Elite Training page at the Arcade Database/Gaming-History website.

is it this video? 

Invité Raikoh
On 22/6/2020 at 9:47 PM, reinsrus said:

@witherzombie222 Johnny Nero Action Hero and Special Forces Elite Training runs on VP101 hardware PCB with a hard drive.

Stop spreading others bullshit,this games don't work on Mame.

• 1 mois après...
Invité
Ce sujet ne peut plus recevoir de nouvelles réponses.
  • Créer...