Guest Raph4

MAME & clones 0.234

55 minutes ago, VirtuaTK said:

I set it up in Retroarch which is a hell of a lot of work. Took ages to find a CRT shader setup I was pretty happy with.

Lottes Multipass with hard pix set to -10. I removed curves too.

I found someone recommend this and was pleasantly surprised. Has a glow / slight blur.

Its a good compromise for me as it looks fairly legit considering it doesn't really dim brightness or go too crazy with colour saturation. Main problems with most crt shaders

If I ever update I will probably go standalone If it messes retroarch setup too much.

Matching rom set with MAME version is a headache. I used to know how to use clrmamepro but can't be bothered to learn it again,

Have yet to go through all games I regard as working or non working yet. I find the warning info you get can be inconsistently correct.

It gets me with every update there are new working and new non working games added to list.

I'm glad FB Neo core exists as some racing games like Rad racer are almost unplayable with MAME.

yeah maybe if i was using rertarch id just use latest thing as it would be easier , but for me that doesnt do 'good scanlines' any justice at all, iv tried using them it looks ugly to me imo  just for me other people find it ok. iv been using mame since mid 2000 i have refined my look well, but as i say any new game that isnt playable on my older mame, i just play it on the very latest mame

2 hours ago, Cool Coyote said:

yeah maybe if i was using rertarch id just use latest thing as it would be easier, but for me that doesnt do 'good scanlines' any justice at all, iv tried using them it looks ugly to me imo just for me other people find it OK. iv been using mame since mid 2000 i have refined my look well, but as i say any new game that isnt playable on my older mame, i just play it on the very latest mame

It's all down to taste as I said for me CRT's were very bright and a bit blurry The majority of scanlines dull the picture too much IMO. Never gonna be perfect.

Have you tried Rad racer though it's terrible in MAME? As with a few others changing steering sensitivity does nothing for controllers. Probably alright with a wheel.

Edited by VirtuaTK

first I feel I have nailed the scanlines to my memory, but you are absolutely right in that even the actual machines would differ, but yes I make my screen bright and contrasty because if u see some screens of yesteryear thats how it was, but in this differences between machines , but I can tell when bad scanlines are out of order.

sddefault.jpg

For scanlines, I've never used the built in MAME ones. I used Reshade since I can make the CRT look piece by piece - From the lines, saturation, contrast, glow, and definition can be set individually.

On 30/07/2021 at 3:43 PM, ZX3000GT1 said:

For scanlines, I've never used the built in MAME ones. I used Reshade since I can make the CRT look piece by piece - From the lines, saturation, contrast, glow, and definition can be set individually.

😤hm upload  a simple pic, m8 to show me. il compare mine   , as u say th inner 'scanline'  shaders' are shit.  reshade ay? show me

oh i googled yes not too bad, i guess that deep scanline could be a'thing' but i find a more subtle scanline works best, thats all id change a96naarqirp61.png?width=2560&format=png&

il stick to mine a higher brightness  a minor blur and scanlines subtle   but i think a big key is contrast as well   the example here above is ok, but th scanlins are too deep too 'contrived'

Edited by Cool Coyote

for me this is a good example ,  yes the image is pretty good (this is using the 'reshade thing)BUT if u notice the jagged edges on the characters, its off- i could use this and change it in my version of mame to refine it- but u cant do that in newer mame versions. 3h85wx6yirp61.png?width=2560&format=png&auto=webp&s=aac06b9a468defc9d5534c7a13b9e363039b2359

Yeah I agree. Any mask shouldn't stand out that much really. Back in the day I wouldn't really notice the imperfections of the screen unless I looked for it.

Might be the region I'm in but I prefer pixels. Scanlines weren't all that common here that I recall. Reshade pixel options are not that good though so I settle for scanlines when using it.